h1

Blood Bowl-a-rama #5 – The pitch

December 4, 2011

As I mentioned in the previous post, I started working on a new, 3d pitch for Blood Bowl. To my surprise I’ve already finished it. No, seriously! I’ve actually completed a miniatures-related project in short order, go me!

What follows is a quick tutorialish look at the process. I built the pitch mostly following CoG’s example. I’m a firm believer in recycling old stuff, and I’m happy to report that I didn’t really need to spend a lot of money on this project.

My first step was cutting up an old leftoverf piece of blue foam sheet. There was a slight problem with this, as the piece wasn’t completely symmetric and was a few millimetres too narrow at one end. I simply chose to accept that this would lead to some wonky lines, but was better than having to ditch the piece and needing to cut a new one. In case you wandered on to this post looking for the pitch dimensions, I made the squares 29mm, with the pitch being 26 by 15 squares including the endzones. I used masking tape to tidy up the board edges.

The sheet was then painted using cheap craft store acrylics and a large paintbrush and left to dry for a good while.

Click for a larger version

When the paint was dry, I sprayed the board with a thin mixture of water and PVA glue and chucked on a variety of flocks. I left the board to dry for a fair few hours (5-6 probably) and then, using a large brush, dappled a similar thinned down PVA over the whole board to seal the flock. I then left the board to dry overnight.

Click for a larger version

With the board dry I painted in some splashes of blood – this is Blood Bowl, you know. I then stuck pushpins at regular intervals along all edges of the pitch to mark the squares. At this point I was reminded of the fact that the field was asymmetrical indeed, and I had to do some fudging to make the squares work and fit. This naturally led to some very…interesting squares, but it’s nothing too serious.

Click for a larger version

After sticking the pins in, I connected the pins with string length- and breadthwise to make a square grid. This grid was then used to mark the corners of the pitch squares.

Click for a larger version

After that there was only the dreary, dreary task of painting in the pitch lines and the little crosses denoting the square corners. As a finishing touch I painted the edges of the board with cheap black acrylic paint. The finished table is shown below. And no, it’s not that askew, the photo angle is to blame!

Click for a larger version

Even with all its little flaws, I’m still very happy about my work on the board for several reasons. First and foremost is that I actually made it, instead of starting work on it and then half-finishing it and sticking it in a closet. It’s now finished, and I don’t have to do anything to it anymore. Second is that I managed to use some of the old stuff I already had lying around instead of buying a lot of new. Third is that it actually looks pretty neat, and I can’t wait to get some gaming done on it.

So there you go! With a serious Blood Bowl heat going on, I’ll probably next tell you about my new, low-cost team. That’s a topic for another post, though.

Advertisements

5 comments

  1. That looks like a fun, pretty quick project. Plus, its finished, which is the most important thing.

    I hope that the pitch is absorbent, so that it can soak up the inevitable tears of rage and frustration that go hand in hand with Blood Bowl 😉


  2. Hahah, your last comment made me actually laugh out loud. You hit the nail on the head with that one, BB tends to produce those by the bucketload. Let’s hope that with all the new players, I’ll be the one dealing them out for a change…


  3. The move from a Strength based team to an Agility based one should help. I have always found playing brawling teams te be a lot harder than playing the guys who can actually do things like pick up and throw the ball.

    BB orcs are brutally slow too. The Dark Elves should be a nice upgrade in terms of actually enjoying play I reckon.


  4. […] pretty much done (pictures coming up soonish), and armed with experience gained from building my BB pitch, I’ve decided to start a new project. I went through my boxes of old stuff some time ago, and […]


  5. […] I turned to an old favourite of mine, blue insulation foam. I had used this to build a Blood Bowl pitch and most of an Aliens game board (which I really should finish one of these days), so it was a […]



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: